We are asking those who attend Real Life Community church to join us in expressing our love and longing for Jesus through a week of prayer and fasting. We are incorporating a version of what many call a “Daniel Fast.” Here are some details to that will help you get the most out of your fast:
16 “And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 17 But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face,18 that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret.And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
1) No Need to Sign Up: When we fast, we are to do so secretly, unto the Lord. Therefore, there is no reason to tell us you are fasting… we just trust that our church family will join us. When we fast in secret, God rewards us! Fasting must have a Godward focus.
2) Accompany Fasting with Prayer and Bible Study: If, during this fast, you don’t seek the Lord… then you are simply going hungry. We are temporarily renouncing the good gift of food, to recognize the greater gift– namely, God Himself! Take time to seek Him and study His word over this seven days.
3) Fasting should be a Sacrifice: Though we are only doing a partial fast, it should still be a sacrifice. Let’s not eat 3000 calories worth of beans. In other words, make sure this fast costs you something. Not watching your favorite show for a week is really not a sacrifice.
4.) Pray for Our Church and our City: In Acts 13:1-3, before Paul and Barnabas were sent out on their missionary journey, there was a group of people who fasted and prayed. This missionary endeavor turned out to be so successful (to say the least). Part of the reason for this fast is to seek God for His favor as we endeavor to reach our city. Join us in praying for our community as we move forward to collectively Glorify God, and we endeavor to equip people to be Real Followers of Jesus.
Thanks so much for seeking the Lord with us! I know this will bless you!
Foods to partake during fast:
- All fruit – fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned.
- All vegetables – fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned.
- All whole grains – amaranth, barley, brown rice, oats, quinoa, millet, and whole wheat.
- All nuts & seeds – almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts, peanuts, pecans, pine nuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds; unsweetened almond milk.
- All beans – canned or dried; black beans, black eyed peas, cannellini beans, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), great northern beans, kidney beans, lentils, pinto beans, and split peas.
- All quality oils – avocado, coconut, grapeseed, olive, peanut, sesame, and walnut.
- Beverages – distilled water, filtered water, and spring water.
- Other – unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk, or soy milk; herbs, spices, salt, pepper, unsweetened coconut flakes, seasonings, soy products, and tofu.
Foods/Drinks to Avoid:
- All meat & animal products – beef, buffalo, fish, lamb, poultry, and pork.
- All dairy products – butter, cheese, cream, eggs, and milk.
- All sweeteners – agave nectar, artificial sweeteners, cane juice, honey, molasses, raw sugar, syrups, stevia, and sugar.
- All leavened bread & yeast – baked goods and Ezekiel bread (if it contains yeast and honey).
- All refined & processed food products – artificial flavorings, chemicals, food additives, preservatives, white flour, and white rice.
- All deep-fried foods – corn chips, French fries, and potato chips.
- All solid fats – lard, margarine, and shortening.
- Beverages – alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee, energy drinks, herbal tea, and tea.